About this Policy
This policy sets out how carsales.com Limited (carsales) collects, uses and discloses your personal information.
By accessing or using carsales services, including the carsales Network you agree to the use and disclosure of your personal information in the manner described in this policy.
Carsales and privacy
carsales.com.au is bound by the Privacy Act (1988).
What personal information is collected
carsales collects personal information that it considers necessary for it, or its related bodies corporate to provide the range of services they offer.
Personal information collected by carsales may include:
- your name, address and contact details
How is personal information collected
- bank account and credit account details
- user ID's and passwords
- the services provided to you
- records and content of communications with carsales or any other person including records and content using Communications Services (as that term is defined in carsales’ Terms and Conditions of Use). Please note that such records and content may be stored and scanned by carsales.
carsales collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
How is personal information used
- directly from you when you provide information directly to carsales in person, by phone or in writing (whether electronic or otherwise)
- directly from you when you communicate with carsales or any other person using carsales Communications Services
- from third parties such as:
- carsales related companies; resellers of carsales services and service providers to carsales
- operators of linked or served web sites, applications and advertising on the carsales network
- from organisations identified or described under the heading "How is personal information disclosed"
Your personal Information may used for the following purposes:
How is personal information disclosed
- to provide the services requested by you
- to manage those services including, customer service and billing
- to research, develop and improve carsales services
- to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction with carsales services
- to generate statistics in relation to the carsales Network
- to promote and market special offers and other services to you. If you do not want to receive these, please let us know by clicking here
- for purposes connected with the operation of the carsales Network
- to personalise the advertising you see when you visit sites within the carsales Network
carsales may disclose personal information to individuals and organisations other than carsales. The organisations to which we may disclose personal information include:
How to access your personal information
- carsales staff and carsales bodies corporate
- the public if you advertise with carsales or use publicly available Communications Services
- individuals and organisations that advertise with carsales if you submit an enquiry with carsales. Depending on your enquiry these may include:
- private advertisers
- licensed car dealers
- car brokers
- operators of Linked Sites
- financial service providers
- insurance service providers
- vehicle inspection service providers
- If you do not want carsales to disclose your personal information to these individuals and organisations do not submit enquires
- outsourced service providers who assist carsales to provide its services including:
- information technology providers
- marketing and market research advisers
- professional advisers
- resellers of carsales services
- organisations involved in a sale/transfer of carsales assets, business or shares
- government and regulatory authorities as required by law
You generally have a right to access your personal Information. If you wish to access your personal information please Click here
or on the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page. Please remember to provide as much detail as you can as this will help us to find the information. There is no charge for this service.
What if you don't provide personal information?
If you choose not to provide personal information when requested, carsales may not be able to provide you with the full range of carsales services.
carsales Network, Linked Sites and personal information
When you visit a website or use an application on the carsales Network, carsales records anonymous information such as IP address, time, date, referring url, pages accessed and documents downloaded, type of browser and operating system.
Carsales also uses “cookies”. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires (typically between 30and 90 days). Cookies may be used by carsales or by service providers engaged by carsales to provide you with the full range of services it offers, remember your preferences, remember the sites you visit on the carsales Network, measure and analyse usage of the carsales Network and for security. Persistent cookies may be used to identify the sites you visit on the carsales Network and to personalise the advertising that you see when you make future visits to that site or other sites. You may adjust your Internet browser to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled carsales may not be able to provide you with the full range of carsales services.
Cookies are also used to display relevant advertising to you based on your browsing behaviour, this is referred to as online behavioural advertising (OBA). If you do not wish to participate in OBA please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com.au
. Here you can Opt Out of OBA for the carsales Network and for a number of other websites who are signatories to the Australian Best Practice Guideline for Online Behavioural Advertising. If you change your mind you can always opt in again at http://www.youronlinechoices.com.au
for Information Collected by the Crazy Egg Web Analytics Service. We are using the information collected by Crazy Egg service for usability purposes. To opt out of this analytics service, please email email@example.com
Carsales uses Nielsen/NetRatings web analytics tools to measure and analyse internet usage across our network of websites. This service helps us measure and respond to our online consumers.
What if I have a problem?
If you have a problem, complaint, want to change your personal information or just wish to enquire about privacy please contact us.
How this policy changes
||Level 4, 449 Punt Road, Richmond VIC 3121
||Locked Bag 9001, Richmond VIC 3121
||+61 (03) 9093 8600 (Business Hours EST)
||Click here to contact us by email
This policy may change over time. All changes will be published on this website.
About security and personal Information
carsales takes reasonable steps to protect personal information collected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modifications or disclosure.
Version 4 (November 2012)